Kindspark’s success depends solely on its community of members who see the same value as we do in paying-it-forward within the areas in which all of us live. It’s the honesty, integrity and generosity of Kindspark members that make possible the impact each of us are committed to making in others’ lives. We can’t tell you how excited we are to see new folks joining the Kindspark community everyday. The more members, the more kindness and, yes, more Karma for everyone!
We know we probably don’t have to remind you, but just remember what we’re all about—giving, receiving, and making a real difference by paying-it-forward.
To keep the Kindspark karma coming everyone’s way, there are a few things we expect from our members:
- Be genuine.
- Be honest.
- Be genuinely honest.
- Be creative and witty. We know you have it in you!
- Respect for your fellow members. Not too much to ask, right?
- Stay the course. Keep up to date with your Kindspark activity.
And above all:
- Meet face to face in a public place, such as a coffee shop, gas station, parking lot.
- When it comes to the item you’re giving away, be accurate with the details and condition. No one likes to be disappointed.
- Keep it legal. We know this is kind of obvious.
- You like your privacy. Others like theirs. Enough said.
- Absolutely, positively, undoubtedly NO harassing, NO threatening, NO stalking and NO abusing Kindspark members. This is good universal practice, too.
- Spark kindness! Give items away, award karma points, and use your voice to spread the word on Kindspark.
Kindspark is the online place where folks can pay-it-forward and make a difference in their community. The idea behind it? We believe our tendency to buy and buy and buy results in owning more “things” than we can possibly need or use forever. How better to improve this result than by passing on those things you no longer need to people in your area who could use them now? Think about it: you can help build a giving community and reduce the carbon footprint in one fell swoop! Forget the notion that you can’t make a difference. You can, easily. Just join Kindspark, offer an item and start paying-it-forward today!
It’s your item that you giving away, remember you make the rules!
It’s just fine if you have a specific kind of person in a specific kind of situation you want your item to go to. If that’s the case, you’ll want to be, well, specific. Below is an example of such an item description:
This Apple Powerbook computer is about 4 years old, works great, battery still takes charge. This computer might not be the latest and greatest, but it has always been reliable. I am looking to give it to a new college freshman or sophomore that could use it for taking notes in class and writing papers. If you are a student at a local college please apply (I am a SDSU Alum, so SDSU students get priority:). Comes with power-cord, computer bag, original software and a mouse.
When it comes to giving, brand new items are always welcome! As for secondhand items, all we ask is they are in decent condition and working order.
Here are only a few good ideas of items to give away:
- Children’s things like: jammies to outgrown duds, Barbies to Lego sets, cribs to strollers, The Wiggles Take Hollywood to The Muppet Movie, pop-up bulldozer books to the tear-jerker Charlotte’s Web.
- Useful household items like: vacuums, weedwackers, lava lamps, ice cream makers, or the ever-treasured BBQ.
- Sports equipment like: bikes, camping gear, basketball hoops, skateboards, any kind of ball, golf clubs you’d break if you kept them in your bag, etc.
- Electronics like: computers, stereo equipment, DVD players, iPod, iPad, iAnything, video games you’ve given up on trying to master.
- Tools like: saws, cordless drills, carjacks, wrench sets, even just a flashlight.
- Appliances like: microwaves, toasters, blenders, ice cream makers, a kegerator (yes please!).
Feel free to post any of the following too:
- Auto… cars, motos, spare tires, and ski racks.
- Office related items… office chairs, desks, anything that could help a new business owner save a little.
- If you have a specific person, situation etc. that you want to help… be specific. Here is sample description that is accurate, short and speaks to the desired person:
- “This Apple Powerbook computer is about 4 years old, works great, battery still takes charge. This computer might not be the latest and greatest, but it has always been reliable. I am looking to give it to a new college freshman or sophomore that could use it for taking notes in class and writing papers. If you are a student at a local college please apply (I am a SDSU Alum, so SDSU students get priority ). Comes with power-cord, computer bag, original software and a mouse."
Some items are inappropriate for Kindspark, even though they may otherwise meet the posting criteria. You cannot post the following things on Kindspark:
- Alcohol and Tobacco
- Gambling items, services or activities
- Drugs of any kind, drug-like substances, drug paraphernalia
- Blood, bodily fluids or body parts (including animals)
- Miracle cure products
- Pets for sale (small adoption fee OK)
- Adult oriented items and services
- Offer or solicitation of prostitution
- Firearms, weapons or any destructive device
- Recalled items
- Stolen property, or property with serial number removed or altered.
- Counterfeit or knock-off brand name goods
- Illegal, inappropriate or offensive items or activities